Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.


by William Ernest Henley



Beauty appear in various kind of forms. And this morning, I coincidentally found one beautiful poem. Invictus. Through the pronunciation itself already tells you there is something about it. As if the word breathe in the life on your eagerness to look out what it means. Invictus means undefeated or unconquerable. This is my favorite line, "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." Oh dear lord, my blood goes tremble.
Aside this poem was written by one of British legendary, William Ernest Henley, this also known as the inspiration for Nelson Mandela to stand up from the struggle he suffered during his sentence in prison till it brought him up to be the president of South Africa and abolished the racism throughout the country. Some of his action fighting against the racism has been adapted into a movie called Invictus played by Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon. Go spare your time to watch it by the weekend, double inspiration. xx


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments :